Sunday, February 23, 2014

My Word is Law

There are some office meetings when we have a guest speaker and is usually one of the office agents who will train about a principle or strategy in real estate. This past week we heard from an agent that talked about making your word as law. Here is some of what I wrote down:

Integrity is the state of being whole and complete, undivided in word and deed, integrated, intact and uncorrupted. Here are some examples she gave us to measure ourselves by:

1) Having complete transparency
2) Reliability - do what you do well
3) Complete tasks as they are meant to be done or better - no cutting corners
4) Honoring your word
5) Do what you know, what you said you'd do and do it on time
6) Do what others expect you to do
7) Saying when NOT doing something or communicating if you are not getting it done on time

She went on to talk about the difference between a goal and a commitment. It has been a journey of many years, but she now understands a commitment is law - it is unbreakable - it holds weight in her mind and heart.

This agent pointed out that our minds are used to getting away with promises we do not keep - Some personal examples that stand out blatantly in my life "I will be home by 6:30" "I will not eat between meals" "I will write for at least 30 minutes each day" - once I started to pinpoint certain things I promise myself and others, I started to feel very poorly about my own personal integrity.

I have always thought of myself as a pretty upright person - I am a diligent communicator, I generally love people and treat people well, I am quick to apologize when I have wronged someone, I MEAN ALL the promises I make to myself and others when I make them - my intentions are pure and my agenda is not usually selfish, but my word is certainly NOT law when I break it down.

What causes this lack of personal integrity in our lives?  The killers of integrity, look like this:

1) Believing the drunk monkey - These are excuses we use to not keep our word i.e. "I did not sleep well last night so I will skip the gym today" or "If I just finish these last two things it will make tomorrow better, so it is ok to be home later than I promised"
2) Big Ego - self importance
3) Sneaky Agenda - sometimes so sneaky we don't even realize what our own agenda really is
4) Not trusting ourselves
5) Focusing on negative thoughts and complaining
6) Being TOO serious

So, if I am generally a decent person and, for the most part, try to do what I say I will, why beat myself up and put so much pressure on myself to make my word law? This agent feels there is great power in integrity - power over our mind. She defines "power" as "the rate in which our goals translate into reality". This actually sounds pretty worth while and it also sounds like I would be a better person and people would want to do business with me.

It was suggested that we start with making 10 commitments each month to begin experiencing the power of integrity and our word as law in our lives. These commitments are not to be confused with goals. If I have a goal not to eat chocolate this month - I should only make it one of my 10 things if I truly do not intend to eat chocolate - once I write it on my 10 things - it becomes law - it is unbreakable - it holds weight in my mind and heart - there is no longer a choice - I will NOT eat chocolate. As I have been thinking about this, I think I will give myself 3 things to work on, this feels more doable to me.

By making commitments to ourselves, and keeping them, we will begin the road back to believing in our own word and creating power in our lives. I appreciated the fact that this agent shared with us the journey she has been on. She told us it has taken her years to understand and live this premise, but she is now one of the most successful agents in our office and I am sure I will believe her the next time she tells me she will do something.

I Am Grateful,
HB

Quote: "Don't be afraid to take a big step if one is indicated. You can't cross a chasm in two small jumps." -- David Lloyd George

1 comment:

  1. I heard something cool today.....I won't be sure if it is merely a goal, or one of the numbers until I hear it from the mouth, or pen of the actual person, but I heard a certain someone plans to run with two other people in August on a fairly long run. If you know anything about this, or want to lay claim to this gossip, please feel free to contact me.
    I personally believe in the said person. I am excited for said individual. It is a great leap, but running is, after all, for Mortals....which we all are. WHOOOOHOOO!!

    Love this idea and post.......we get away with murder with our sloppy goals at times.....but I love the integrity number thing......I better make DANG WELL SURE I mean what I say. Think long and hard about my commitments. Great!! : ) Looking forward to talking soon. Perfect quote.......may use it on our Healthy FB page if that's ok.

    ReplyDelete