Tuesday, March 4, 2014

Be, Do, Have

In sales meeting the other day my boss was talking about the principle of  "Have, Do, Be" vs. "Be, Do, Have"…example:

If I had a lot of money (have), I would buy things (do) that would make me happy (be) vs. if I am a person that has a plan (be) and follows it daily (do), I would have a lot of money (have), which would give me the freedom to pursue my dreams.

This idea resonated with me personally on many levels. I understand I need to BECOME the person I want to be before I can have everything I want in my life.

Take the three pillars: Relationships/Health/Finances

I must become the kind of partner I want to be to my spouse in order to develop the strong relationship I desire to have with my husband. I must exercise and eat right before I can experience the type of activities I want to participate in. I must have an executable financial plan and follow-it before I can create the type of investment opportunities to generate passive income for retirement, etc.

I believe, in this day and age, we tend to think in the opposite way - we think we need to "have" in order to "do" and "be" better. This type of thinking smacks of blame and a lack of accountability that drives me bonkers.

It is very interesting to me when I am working with a person relocating to a new area who wants to be reassigned to a new agent because they do not feel they are getting the service they anticipated. I am always open to this because sometimes personalities clash and the fit of the agent is just not right or the agent has not set clear expectations with the client. This is normal and, although it does not happen often, it does happen.

It really gets interesting to me when I move the same client two or three times to a new agent…this is when I start to wonder if the individual shouldn't take an inward look at how they may be responsible for the situation. This is when it starts to feel like entitlement or bad communication or unrealistic expectations, but it is always the other persons fault or shortcomings that creates the "bad" situation.

There seems to be lack of accountability everywhere I look. My biggest shortfall in this area is usually with my husband. At work it is fairly easy for me to be accountable for my short falls, but at home, I like to blame my husband for lots of things. Let's just say I eat a lot of humble pie and those suckers are rich in fat and calories - very heavy tough to chew thru.

The truth is…I know I am accountable for EVERYTHING that happens in my life. I believe I am even accountable for that person that keeps changing agents. This is an irritating thought, but it can also be empowering when it is managed as a way to do things better next time or to educate a client on expectations, perhaps ask more questions and understand a new point of view.

I am very blessed to have such a large platform to learn from even if I don't love all the lessons.

I Am Grateful,
HB

Quote: "Happiness is when what you think, what you say, and what you do are in harmony." --Mahatma Gandhi

1 comment:

  1. Hey, great topic, I will be teaching a class on "Choice and Accountability" to the YW in a week or so. I think this is such an important concept - Accountability- to get. Unfortunately, sometimes it takes some hard knocks, and costly choices to fully understand the concept.... we are all a work in progress, huh. You cannot make any choice and not pick up the consequence that goes with it.

    We still need to chit chat. I hope to call this weekend, probably Sunday : )

    ReplyDelete